The roof of your home plays a very important role in the overall life of your home. A roof that is leaking or poorly maintained is going to cause issues with water getting under the roof and causing problems in the interior of the home. In a best case scenario you will have water marks and minor problems, but with worse case issues you may find serious problems with mold and structural damage.
When to Replace
The reality is that every roof, no matter what material, will one day need to be replaced. Today’s roofs and shingles are much more durable than those of even a decade ago, but at some time roof replacement is something you will need to consider.
There are some simple things to look for which you can see from the ground to help you recognize when you need to seriously start to consider a roof replacement. Of course, obvious damage after a storm is often the biggest and most obvious sign, but there may be indicators even before this you can easily see.
Signs of Problems
From the outside of your home the signs of aging or deterioration of your roof can include:
- Lifted, curled or raised shingles or patches of shingles. For tile roofs look for cracked, chipped or broken tiles.
- Missing shingles, typically associated with heavy wind or rain.
- Small granules from the shingles around the downspouts, in the gutters or on the ground below the edge of the roof. This is most easily noted right after heavy rain.
- Signs of discoloration or streaking down the roof, particularly from the areas around vents and chimney flashing.
If you go up into the attic, you may also be able to notice some or all of the following:
- Water spots or marks on the roof area or down lower around the points where the roof meets the exterior walls.
- Moisture or mold on the roof or along the areas where the roof and walls meet inside the attic.
- The smell of mildew or sour air in the attic area.
- Wet or moist insulation in this area.
In some extreme cases where there have been ongoing water leaks, you may be able to see holes in the roof or areas where the wood is rotting.
If you aren’t sure if you need a roof replacement, just give us a call. We can come out and complete a free roof inspection, providing you with the information you need to determine if the time is right to consider a new roof.