The roof of your home is the most important component of protection against outdoor elements. It ensures you and your family stay safe during instances of extreme weather and protects the interior of your home against devastating damage. But what happens when it fails? That is a question no homeowner should have to answer. Let’s take a look at the warning signs commonly attributed to a failing roofing system and the steps you should take to guard against these unwanted occurrences.
- Age of Your Roofing System
- How old is your roof? Most Jacksonville roofers agree that a typical roof will last at least 20 years. At this age, the cost of repeated roof repairs can ultimately surpass the price of a new roof and opting for a roof replacement may be the most financially sound option. This is especially significant if you are in the market for a new home. Consider when the home was constructed and whether or not the original roof is still in place.
- Sagging in Ceilings
- The interior of their home is usually the first place many people spot warning signs. Homeowners should pay particular attention to sagging ceilings, as this is an indication of water damage caused by roof leaks. Be sure to check attics as well, since this area is where damage from leaks will initially be visible.
- Curling of Shingles
- This warning sign has a few different causes. Improper storage of shingles prior to installation, incorrect installation, excessively dry asphalt shingle bases, poor quality materials, or just natural wear are all reasons why this may occur. Once this takes place, the shingles are not able to function as needed. Water will penetrate the roof and could potentially cause significant structural damage to your home.
- Rotting Shingles
- Unfortunately, roofing materials will not last forever. At some point, shingles will begin to deteriorate. Rotting shingles are a good indication that rot is occurring in other areas of the roof that cannot be seen. A rotting roof should be immediately inspected and could potentially need to be replaced.
While these are all legitimate reasons for concern that your roofing system is failing, they are not a guarantee that such an overhaul is needed. Ultimately, there are many factors that contribute to this decision. Most Jacksonville roofing companies will be able to offer you a range of solutions to deal with the above-described situations. As previously covered, one of the biggest questions is whether it is more cost effective to simply repair a roof or decide to replace it. By consulting with a qualified and reputable roofing contractor, you can ensure that you are making the right decision for your home. As always, it is recommended that you have your roof professionally inspected at least twice a year, so that you are adequately prepared in case of problems. Don’t wait until it is too late and the only answer is a new roof. Make the call today!